Gluten Free Vegetarian Tempe Sushi Rolls
(Makes about 8 pieces)
- 2 heaping cups of cooked rice
- 2 tbsp of sushi vinegar
- About 5 oz of heritage spinach (a red spinach).
- 1/4 of an avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp or so of vegan mayonnaise
- Organic Pea Sprouts- Organic Pea Sprouts
- Maple "bacon" flavored tempe (about 2 pieces or so)
- OtaJoy Sauce Sushi
*Note: you can use plain spinach in place of regular spinach or any other flavor of tempe you like. We recommend the maple "bacon" flavor for this recipe.
1. Slice avocado and prepare the organic vegetables and set aside.
2. Lay out your bamboo sushi rolling mat and place a square piece of plastic wrap on top of that. Lay a large square piece of seaweed on top of the plastic wrap. (note: there is a rough side and a smooth side to the seaweed. Lay the rough side up.).
3. Next prepare your sushi rice in a bowl by adding 2 heaping cups of cooked rice and 2 tablespoons of sushi vinegar. Put the rice on top of the seaweed layer (it should cover the most of your seaweed, but leave about a half inch on each side of the seaweed sticking out, so that the roll will stick together at the end).
4. Place heritage spinach in a thick row down the middle of the rice, then top with tempe, avocado, pea sprouts, and vegan mayo on top of the spinach in the middle of the square.
5. Begin to roll from the side of the mat closest to you and stop half way. Squeeze tightly to get the ingredients to stick together well, then continue to roll to the end and squeeze again. To cut, wet your knife so that the blade doesn`t stick to the rice. Makes 8 pieces. Serve with OtaJoy Sauce Sushi!
- Elizabeth Tontz