Gluten Free Vegetarian Cucumber, Cream Cheese, and Tofu Sushi Rolls
(Makes about 8 pieces)
- 2 heaping cups of cooked rice
- 2 tbsp of sushi vinegar
- About 1/4 of a cucumber, cut into long slices
- Fried tofu cutlets (these are called "atsuage" and you can find them at your local Asian market)
- 8 oz of whipped cream cheese
- OtaJoy Sauce Sushi
*Note: if you cannot find atsuage, you can always substitute for "cotton" or dense tofu.
1. Slice cucumber and atsuage into long thin strips and set aside.
2. Lay out your bamboo sushi rolling mat and place a square piece of plastic wrap on top of that. Lay a large square piece of seaweed on top of the plastic wrap. (note: there is a rough side and a smooth side to the seaweed. Lay the rough side up.).
3. Next prepare your sushi rice in a bowl by adding 2 heaping cups of cooked rice and 2 tablespoons of sushi vinegar. Put the rice on top of the seaweed layer (it should cover the most of your seaweed, but leave about a half inch on each side of the seaweed sticking out, so that the roll will stick together at the end).
4. Place the cucumber and atsuage in a row down the middle of the rice. Next scoop out the whipped cream cheese on top of the cucumber and atsuage so that it is evenly distributed.
5. Begin to roll from the side of the mat closest to you and stop half way. Squeeze tightly to get the ingredients to stick together well, then continue to roll to the end and squeeze again. To cut, wet your knife so that the blade doesn't stick to the rice. Makes 8 pieces. Serve with OtaJoy Sushi Sauce!
- Elizabeth Tontz