Gluten Free Chicken Katsu (Cutlets)
(Makes 3 servings)
- 3 large chicken breasts (about 7 lbs)
- 1/3 cup of gluten free flour
- 3/4 cup of gluten free panko
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of water
- OtaJoy Sauce Katsu
*Note: this recipe can be made with either breast meat or thigh meat. We prefer chicken breast because it is lower in fat than thigh meat, but either one tastes great with the OtaJoy Sauce Katsu!
The key to making this recipe gluten free is the use of gluten free flour and panko. You can find any of these in your local natural markets.
1. Set out chicken breasts, gluten free flour, gluten free bread crumbs, and one beaten egg in separate dishes in a row.
2. Season both sides of the chicken breast with salt and pepper. First, coat the chicken breast with flour, making sure it is coated all over. Then, dip the chicken breast in the egg until egg is covering the entire chicken. Finally, lay in the panko and flip until both sides are covered in panko.
3. Heat oil in a deep frying pan (enough to completely submerge the chicken). Deep fry for three minutes. Flip the chicken and fry for an additional three minutes, until the chicken cutlet is a nice golden brown color.
4. Repeat process with the remaining cutlets.
5. Arrange on a plate and drizzle OtaJoy Sauce Katsu
- Elizabeth Tontz